Monday, April 15, 2013

11

Things are not always what they appear or seem to be.

I've had epilepsy 11 years this month. In that time I've had my struggles, triumphs as well as misunderstandings. It hasn't been easy living with epilepsy but I have made the best of it in the simplest ways than many may think.

Disproving the misconceptions has been the simplest way that I show people how I lead my life. More often than not it is this way that has confused people the most because of most believing the misconceptions made by the media about people with epilepsy. It is also my favorite way because I can explain it and say that doing research and asking questions is better than assuming.

Assuming is one of many things that people do. With epilepsy it is even worse due to people not being informed much if at all. Most people think to put something in the persons mouth when it is more harmful than helpful. Instead, reassure the person and let the seizure run its course.

One of the biggest misconceptions is that people with epilepsy do not lead a normal life when in fact they lead a normal, active life. It is far from be truth about this misconception. Most take medication of some kind. Few have to have surgery from medication and other things hat do not help at all. People may even now someone with Epilepsy and not even know it until later one. 

People will be people and assume the worst a out people with epilepsy. One thing that is definite is that seeing someone with it lead an active life often changes a persons mind even o slow to change

No comments:

Post a Comment